September 15, 2009

Visa Ordeal

Recently, I had to visit Chennai to get a US visa for myself. My appointment was at 9:15 AM, so I was little relaxed thinking that since it is early in the morning, I won't have to wait for long. Well, very soon I learnt how wrong I was.

When I reached the consulate at 8:40 AM, already there was a long queue outside, anyway, I joined in. By the time, I could step inside the building it was already 9:50 AM. The worrisome fact was that there were some people who had 8:15 AM appointment and they got in just before me !!! Nonetheless, inside there was another queue for form / doc verification purposes. It was much more orderly thanks primarily to one gentlemen who was managing the whole thing very carefully. Post this, there was another long queue to go to visa appointment hall. By the time, my turn came it was already 11:00 AM.

Inside visa hall, applicants were queued up in front of visa counters depending on what kind of visa they are applying for. The turn of an applicant was determined by the time of appointment and the category of visa. To my surprise, I saw that people who had their appointment at 8:30 AM were still waiting for their turn. While talking to some people and overhearing some conversations, I learnt that some people who had 8:30 AM appointment and have come from outside, had booked 2 PM return flights. Now that they were stuck inside, and that too w/o any mobile phone, they were struggling to make changes in their travel itinerary. By the time, I stood in the queue and reached the counter it was 1 PM. Finally, at 1:15 PM I finished my interview and walked out of the consulate.

Guess what - a day later, Times of India Bangalore has a story that the visa issuance wait time which is only couple of hours right now, will be reduced even further with the opening of virtual US consulate in Bangalore. Wondering if they know what is happening on the ground and worst part is that none of the interviewees even take this problem up with VFS and/or US consulate.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home