November 24, 2009

Technical Obsolescence

In last few months, I have been getting this feeling that I am getting technically obsolete. Since quite some time, I was hearing about Web 2.0, Social Networking, Facebook etc etc. Since I knew what these terms represent, I was comfortable even though, I wasn't using any of them. Then, slowly, I started using LinkedIn and later on Facebook. Frankly speaking, I still don't use them, the way, probably, lot of other people use it, but then it feels good to be up-to-date on technology usage.

Some time ago, I also started using Skype as a communication tool. I must say, I found the voice quality quite good (except once in a while), sometimes to the extent of being better than usual cellphone. I got so hooked on to it, that now-a-days that's the first thing I tend to use when I have to call someone.

Recently, there was almost a bombardment of new terms - Twitter, EtherPad, GitHub, Google Wave etc - on to me. It so happened that suddenly, lot of these jargons came my way and I was left dumbfounded with the feeling that I don't know anything !!! Trust me, the feeling of being left behind wasn't a very good feeling. The only comfort (albeit a sadistic one) was the fact that I found lot of my compatriots in the same situation. They were also lost at all the geek-speak and trying to figure out how to deal with it. While I still need to act (that too quickly) to catch up with this sudden upsurge in technology, it is amazing to see so many new products/tools are being created to enable collaboration amongst people. Wondering if this is an indication to a new trend ...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home